Sunday 29 September 2013

My final days in Guatemala, first in El Salvador and The Big "Opps"


The last few days have been filled with new experiences…and a lot of travelling. I am excited to tell you all about Perquín and all it’s natural beauty but first, let me take you a little further back. It was September 25th the evening of what I have titled, “the night of the big opps”

I had been pondering what to do with my hair for some time now. It had gotten rather long and I LOVE long hair so even though I never do anything with it I appreciated it being there. However on the evening of the 25th I was not all that fond of it. Particularly the rather dead-ends that felt straw like and nasty. I wondered how much more comfortable it would be if they no longer existed.  I had been considering for some time visiting a near by salon but upon finding a pair of scissors in my bedroom I got another idea at which point I promptly goggled “how to cut your own hair.”  Seemed easy enough.

I am not sure what gave me the nerve. Perhaps I had a weird sense of capability having lived in Guatemala for a month, maybe I was feeling more adventures in a new place, or it could be that I was just very tired of paying for haircuts and what better place to learn then central America.  Could have been a combination of all three.  All I know is…I hardly trust a hairdresser in Canada let alone my own two clutzy hands.

But somehow I had the motivation, the scissors and the courage and I started snipping. I took it slow in the beginning cutting little by little. When I thought I was finished I put my hair in a braid on the side and was a little disappointed to see rather large chunks of shorter hair sticking out at different lengths. No matter I could cut it a little shorter. This may have been where I got too confident… and went a little crazy. I am completely unsure of what happened but for any of you Anne of Green Gable lovers you can reference the scene where she dies her hair green and that will give you a pretty clear depiction of the emotions running through my head. And just for a nice visual here’s a picture. 
 
Whoops...
Oddly enough after I noticed the damage I had done the shock of it was quick and rather painless. It was bad, yes, but hair grows back and what better time to try short hair then in the tropical climate of El Salvador! The next day I had language class, and after telling the amusing story to my teacher she instructed I take my hair down so she could see it. She then said we could leave class early and she would take me to get a haircut. Yes…it was that bad.

So for the first time since I was a toddler my hair is a little above my shoulders. I still have a great love for long hair…but I am happy to try out something new.

Short, short hair. P.S this is the park in the centre of Perquín, and this photo was taken by a vary nearly three year old! Not bad Ellie Chapman!  

Friday was my very last Spanish class. Edna my Spanish teacher and I had a chance to go out for lunch the day before (after the haircut) and talk a little bit about El Salvador and ways for me to continue learning Spanish. I am very grateful she was my teacher!
 
My wonderful teacher Edna and I! Many a hours were spent struggling though Spanish together. Towards the end I started a fun little twitch when I was particularly frustrated with something. We thought it was funny.
Friday morning I had to say goodbye to my very lovely host family, and Manches.  They said I could come by for a visit anytime and if I ever needed a place to stay in the city their home was open to me. I do plan on visiting them when I am able. Possibly sooner then later since I recently realized I left a pair of shoes behind. It’s impossible for me not to leave a trail.

In my last 5 minutes I realized I had never gotten a picture with my Guatemalan host family. In result I ended up being 20 minutes late for my last class. Memories are important. Meet my host mom Victoria and host sister Ingrid. Two awesome people that made my stay in Guatemala that much more enjoyable! 

Friday afternoon we loaded into the MCC van and headed for El Salvador!  The Chapman family, fellow SALTer David and myself had a rather spacious ride in the 13-seat van.  Since it is a rather lengthy trip (aprox 9 hours) we stopped at the ANADES compound where we stayed the night. ANADES is the NGO that I will be working with through the daycare in Perquín. They have a small compound in San Salvador which I am sure will serve me well throughout the year. Especially while travelling from Perquín to Guatemala City, which will be required several times during my stay here.
 
My first meal in El Salvador. The one and only Papusa! I am not sure exactly what the process of making these are but I am sure I will have the opportunity to learn since they are infamous in El Salvador. 
First bite of my first Papusa. The first of many many more to come! The only way I can really describe a Papusa is comparing it to an undercooked pizza...but it tastes better. Just going to have to come try one for yourself (hint, hint) 
From San Salvador we traveled to Perquín. Upon stepping out of the van I was taken back by the natural beauty of the area. Rolling hills provided a scenic view which I much preferred to the hectic Guatemala City.  We have been staying at Hotel Perquín Lenca where the showers are hot and wonderful! I have grown to appreciate hot showers in a whole new light! The hotel has provided a great balance between accommodating Westerners while exposing a more traditional aspect of El Salvador.  A great place for visitors to stay (hint, hint).
 
Vastly different from the view I had at home. 
While staying here we got the chance to meet the Hotel owner Ron, a very hospitable man from the U.S but who has been in Latin America for over 30 years. He began construction on the hotel after the war to serve as a development project for the community. The entire town of Perquín was completely displaced after the war since anything that moved in the area was considered the enemy and were tragically targeted and killed.  The war was such a short time ago that many of the people in Perquín have an understanding of the destruction of violence in a way I could never fully comprehend. I look forward to having opportunities to learn from their insight.

After attending church this morning I met my new host family. My family consists of a mother, father, daughter, son, and granddaughter.  The granddaughter and me already have a deal, I will teach her some English if she helps me with my Spanish. I think we are going to be very good friends.  The family seems to be good-hearted, kind people. They have already addressed very openly some of the needs they assume I will need addressed. For example, they do not purchase their water but they know that the water they use might make me sick. Just knowing they are aware of these differences in culture is comforting. They have also already invited me to different community events like the ladies soccer team and a bible study. Apparently several of the women at the Bible study have expressed interest in learning English. I am glad to hear I might be as much of a help to them as they will be to me.
 
The one and only church in town. Murals similar to this are all over the artistic village Perquín. 
My understanding is that my host family has a very interesting history involving the war. In fact, my host dad’s parents were two of the three people whom for whatever reason did not evacuate Perquín after it had become a very dangerous and hostile area.  Far from the artistic town it is today. There is so much history here for me to grow and learn from. A different form of learning then I am use to in the classroom.

The community of Perquín is absolutely beautiful. Cultural murals have been painted all thought-out the town and music can be heard coming from any given building. The only negative aspect I have so far is that there are so many dogs and I have been advised against petting them. I love dogs.  Maybe their presence will be nice even if I can’t go near them.  My verdict overall is that even though I foresee a lot of challenges adjustment wise, I think I will really like it here! I am excited to see the school, meet the kids, and get to know my host family and the community.

Excited to see how it all plays out!

Lastly I would like to thank you for all your prayers and kind words after hearing of my Grandmothers passing. I have never wanted to be in two places more. Your kinds words and prayers truly helped with the heart ache. Blessed to have had an amazing grandmother blessed to have great friends and a great family, all the while blessed to be in Perquín! 

Miss you all! Prayers are as always appreciated and don’t forget I have email and Facebook! I love hearing about home J

No comments:

Post a Comment